Film Studies Minor
Film is both an art form and a powerful form of communication.
While completing a minor in film studies, you will learn the basic techniques of creating films in a variety of formats—from 30-second TV commercials and YouTube videos to documentaries and feature films. More important, you will also discover how these films can affect society’s perceptions of the world—and how your own media creations can educate, shape opinions and affect cultural values.
With a minor in film studies, you will be able to harness the power of film to create a career that is uniquely yours. This minor is valuable in a variety of fields, including:
- Film and television production
- Advertising and marketing
- Social work
- Everyday life
Match Your Courses to Your Interests
While completing a minor in film studies, you’ll work closely with your advisor to develop a curriculum that best meets your academic and career goals. Among your many options, you may choose to:
- Discover the impact that film has on children and young adults during “Race and Gender in the Media.”
- Focus on the history of cinema and how it has shaped our society (and how your actions can impact our future society!) with “Film and History.”
- Gain a deeper understanding of how film both entertains and influences society in our popular “Topics in Film,” which has featured topics ranging from American vampires to women in film.