As a Cedar Crest theatre major, you will be given the opportunity to enhance your skills and knowledge both in the classroom and in the theatre. Each year, the department stages four major stage productions, which you may take part in from your first year here at Cedar Crest College. Productions include dramatic and comedic performances and musicals. Productions are performed in the 250-seat Samuels Theatre.
Each term, theatre students participate in all campus productions in some capacity, in roles including cast member, stage crew, box office, scene shop, costume construction or stage management.
Major productions are strategically planned to correspond with classroom instruction, allowing students to immediately put their classroom knowledge into practice on stage. Shows are also picked to reflect the college’s strategic initiatives and are carefully selected to include strong roles for women.
After declaring your major during your sophomore year, you will be required to participate in First Friday, a program that connects students with their peers. There, you will observe projects being done at the junior and senior level. This exposure allows you to develop your own ideas and creativity, learning from your peers in addition to your professors.
During your senior year, you will showcase a senior thesis project of your choice. This provides you with the opportunity to present and demonstrate your creative process, while also offering you the experience of expressing your ideas to a larger audience.
Theatre at Cedar Crest offers you:
- The opportunity to audition and participate in major productions starting your first year
- Hands-on experience in all aspects of a theatre production
- The opportunity to present and express your creativity in front of peers, faculty and the public
- Instruction by knowledgeable and experienced faculty members
- The flexibility to explore multiple areas of interest, including minors and dual majors