Physical, Medical and Mobility Impairments
To Whom It May Concern:
To support the need for reasonable and appropriate accommodations for physical, medical and/or mobility impairments, the student requesting services must provide documentation verifying the condition and describing its current functional impact.
Documentation serves as a foundation that legitimizes a student's request for appropriate accommodations. The diagnostician must be an impartial individual who is not a family member of the student.
Please refer to the attached documentation checklist. It may be used as a guideline to develop a report that enables Cedar Crest College to deliver appropriate disability accommodation services.
I have also included a Cedar Crest College brochure "Services to Students with Disabilities" for your information.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
CHECK LIST FOR DOCUMENTATION OF PHYSICAL, MEDICAL AND MOBILITY IMPAIRMENTS
Please submit a report on your letterhead which addresses each of the following items. You need not limit yourself to these items, but you are requested to provide as much information as possible from these areas:
- Date of evaluation and statement of the medical diagnosis including a summary of assessment procedures including results and standardized scores if applicable.
- Description of present symptoms that meet the criteria for diagnosis.
- Medical information relating to the student's needs in the postsecondary environment. This should include the impact of medication on the student's ability to meet the demands of the postsecondary environment.
- Statements about the level of functional impact the disability has on learning or other major life activity (e.g. physical movement, mental concentration, reading, processing speed, etc.)
- Recommendations regarding effective physical, medical and/or academic accommodations to equalize this student's educational opportunities at the post-secondary level (e.g. alterations to the physical environment, permission to tape record classes, assistance with note taking, etc.). If extended test time is suggested, please specify 1 1/2 times, double time or other.
- If your letterhead does not provide it, your license # and state of issuance.