Art History Minor
Understanding the historical and cultural influences behind various works of art can illuminate the choices that other artists have made—and also enable today’s students to examine how the current culture is affecting their own artistic choices. This minor traces the development of art throughout the ages, surveying important works of art in their historical and cultural contexts.
Cedar Crest students who minor in art history come from a diverse academic backgrounds; however this minor makes an especially useful complement to an art major or history major.
A minor in art history requires 18 credits, to consist of:
- ART 105: Art History I 3 credits
- ART 106: Art History II 3 credits
Select three of the following:
- ART 200: Modern Art: 1800-1945 (fall) 3 credits
- ART 210: Contemporary Art: 1945-present (spring) 3 credits
- ART 215: Selected Movements in Art 3 credits
- ART 220: Women Artists (spring) 3 credits
One of the following:
- ART 110: Principles of Visual Organization 3 credits
- ART 101: Beginning Drawing 3 credits
The following two courses are also strongly suggested for art history minors:
- HIS 107 and HIS 108: European Civilization: Ideas and Experiences 3 credits each term