Middle Level Education (4-8) Major
The Middle Level Education major will prepare you as a professional educator to meet the many challenges of the 21st century classroom, teaching grades 4-8. You will be instructed by a highly qualified faculty: All full-time and adjunct faculty members in the education department at Cedar Crest are certified teachers and have a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience in K-12 classrooms.
This program leads to Level I certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The teacher preparation program at Cedar Crest College is grounded in a strong liberal arts foundation that is aimed at providing our future teachers with a strong background in academic content-area knowledge.
As a prospective middle level teacher, you will select two content areas to study along with your major in middle level education. (Some other institutions offer programming that includes just one content area of study along with education. Our program will make you a more marketable candidate for future employment.) You will take required courses in these selected content areas along with your other education classes. Options include:
- Social Studies and Math
- Social Studies and Science
- Science and Math
- Science and Language Arts
- Math and Language Arts
If you wish, you may pursue a dual certification in Middle Level Education and Special Education (PreK-8). Dual certification is an option that is designed to make the new graduate even more marketable as a teacher.
- The opportunity to participate in pre-teaching experiences in urban and suburban settings, beginning year one of your studies, including one experience in a special education setting.
- Faculty members who provide a strong mentoring and support system, helping you select and schedule classes. Also, when you student-teach, your supervisor will go into the classroom with you and provide you with weekly feedback.
- Guaranteed student-teaching placement in a local school district.
- Our superior reputation in school districts in the Lehigh Valley means that students who graduate from Cedar Crest are considered strong candidates for future employment.