Taking the Lead
Focus on: Brenna Mateljan
Hometown: Somerset, Pa.
Status: Class of 2013
Major: Dance and Communication
- Secretary, Nu Delta Alpha National Dance Honor Society
- Manager, Cedar Crest Dance Company
- Ballet tutor, performing arts department
- Active in many campus theatrical productions, including a lead role in Chicago (Feb. 2012)
- Student Worker, Office of Institutional Advancement
- Dean’s list student
- Member of Delphi honor society
- Marketing internship with Allentown Symphony Hall
- Attended and performed at American College Dance Festival
- Cedar Crest College Dance Scholarship
- PA Outstanding Young Woman Scholarship
Leadership: Brenna said small class sizes in communication and dance give her the regular opportunity to be a leader for group projects. She has also had plenty of opportunities to lead clubs and organizations.
Her Take: “The professors at the school are a big part of my development as a leader. Having the opportunity to work beside them and also to take a step back and watch them in action, I have learned a great deal about what it takes to be a good leader. There are so many opportunities to be a leader on campus and I am honored to hold a few of these positions.”
Favorite Quote: "Never take one single breath for granted" from the song "I Hope You Dance."
Her Take: "This is my favorite quote because you only get one life to live; therefore you don’t want to pass up any opportunity or chance to make your life the best it can be. Live your life to the fullest and do what you love. As they say in Chicago the musical: ‘You can like the life your living and you can live the life you like.’ If this is what you live by then don't ever take a moment in your life for granted."
“Brenna 360”: Brenna is a dance and communication major. She sees dance as her passion, but she also realized early on that it’s good to be well-rounded when entering the job market. She figured that she could use communication skills to market herself or to do marketing/P.R. in the performing arts.
Her Take: "Having the communication major along with dance, it allows me to stick around in the performing arts field for the rest of my life.”."