For students with a special interest in serving the needs of older adults, Cedar Crest College offers a 17-credit interdisciplinary certificate in gerontology. This certificate will be of interest to people who are pursuing careers in nursing, psychology, pastoral care, social work, nutrition, and business. The program is designed to provide valuable insight and skills for students who are seeking a career focusing on gerontology, as well as for those who are already working in this field. This certificate program combines classroom content with practical experience.
The certificate program in gerontology is based on a broad multidisciplinary core of knowledge that encompasses several areas of study. As a student in this program, you will learn:
- To understand the aging process, the relationship between the elderly and society, and to improve the quality of life within the elderly population
- To understand the biological, spiritual, psychological and sociological perspectives related to the natural and highly variable aging process
- To look beyond cultural stereotype of the elderly and view this stage of the life cycle as a period of creativity, radiance, spirituality and wisdom
- To explore new paradigms and cultural ideals for the aging within a theoretical context
Upon completion of four core courses, you will apply your knowledge through supervised field practice in selected agencies and facilities providing services to the elderly. You will also take a final seminar class, along with the field experience, to integrate theory and practice.
A gerontology certificate requires six courses (17 credits), to consist of:
- HLT 100 Biology and Healthy Aging 3 credits
- NTR 114 Nutrition and the Elderly 1 credit
- SOC 243 Social and Psychological Aspects of Aging 4 credits
- SOC 329 Practices, Policies and Politics of Aging 3 credits
- SOC 331 Applied Gerontology 3 credits
- SOC 332 Field Practice in Gerontology 3 credits
To earn a gerontology certificate, a student must maintain a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0.