CATALOG • 2009-2010
The athletics program offers Cedar Crest students the opportunity to participate in intramural, club, recreational and intercollegiate sports. The intercollegiate teams compete with colleges in the Lehigh Valley, the Philadelphia area, and others within a 2 hour commute. Students who participate in varsity sports earn 1/2 credit for each sport and receive a grade of Credit/No Credit.
Department of Athletics
Statement of Purpose
Cedar Crest College athletics is affiliated with the National College Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III and The Pennsylvania Athletic Conference (PAC).Athletics at Cedar Crest embraces the concept of the student-athlete and recognizes participation as an integral part of the educational offerings. The philosophy of the department of athletics reflects the central themes of the College, which emphasize student self development, individual decision-making as it affects the quality of life and an appreciation of values, choice and responsibility.
To achieve and promote this educational purpose, the student-athlete will:
- fulfill academic responsibilities while progressing steadily toward meeting the requirements for a degree,
- maintain eligibility for participation in every athletic contest,
- uphold her commitment to the team,
- perform as a positive role model on the campus and in the wider community, and
- accept the responsibility to become an effective, Contributing member of society.
The Cedar Crest athletics program will:
- encourage the broadest student involvement,
- set academic standards for the student-athlete to ensure eligible participation,
- evaluate the program continuously for relevance to the educational purpose of the College,
- maintain high ethical standards, and
- compete with other institutions of higher learning having similar athletic philosophies and policies.
- Field Hockey
- Cross Country
- Floor Hockey
NCAA Division III regulations require that students be enrolled full-time, make satisfactory progress and be in good academic standing to participate in athletics In order to be eligible to participate in athletics at Cedar Crest, a student:
(1) Must be full-time, registered for a minimum of 12
credits during the semester of athletic participation.
Upper-class students must have accumulated no less
than 24 credits the two semesters prior to the current
semester of participation.
(2) Must earn the minimum number of credits for
each year of athletic team participation:
Freshman 0.00 - 23.9
Sophomore 24.0 - 54.9
Junior 55.0 - 85.9
Senior 86 or more
(3) Must notify her coach and the Director of Athletics if she drops a course during the semester so that credits can be recomputed immediately by the registrar's office.
(4) Must achieve a minimum cumulative average of 2.000 as a freshman and a minimum cumulative average of 2.000 for any subsequent semester.
- 50-Mile Club
- Aerobic/Body Toning
- Hall Olympics
- Healthy U
- Group Fitness Walks
- Rodale Aquatic Center
- Wellness Programs
- Indoor Biathlon/Triathlon