Influenza / Flu
Preparation for the Flu Season
Over the summer, an important and essential part of the College's preparation for the fall semester included precautionary planning for an influenza / flu virus outbreak at Cedar Crest College during the academic year. A campus committee was convened and a policy statement was created. There is a probability that many colleges and universities across the country will face some challenges with the flu.
Although a vast majority of cases are mild, we strongly urge members of the campus community to take standard precautions adopted by the college and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and take an active role in flu prevention efforts. The college’s response plan to address the presence of flu-like symptoms on campus is included on this web page. Cedar Crest will be taking precautionary measures in order to reduce the spread of the virus on campus. Promoting good health practices and updating students, faculty and staff will keep the campus informed and healthy. Information will be provided on a regular basis and in a variety of formats, including this web site, MyCedarCrest, posters, newspaper articles, and informational bulletins.
Preventative measures on campus include:
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds or using alcohol-based hand sanitizers when water is not available
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
- Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Get adequate sleep and nutrition
- Do not share food or drinks
- Avoid contact with people who are ill whenever possible
- Do not come to campus of you have the virus
At this time, all campus events will be held according to their schedules.
In the event of a pandemic, campus events may be postponed or canceled. This is a preventative measure.
Cedar Crest College will communicate important updates via e-mail, as well as through its website at MyCedarCrest.