English as a Second Language
To teach English as a second language in Pennsylvania, and many other states, you are now required to have an ESL certificate. Cedar Crest College's ESL Teacher certification is a focused 12-credit program fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
- You will study the relationship between cultures and effective teaching strategies for all students.
- Cognitive stages of language development, basic linguistics, and the structure of English will be introduced as you develop competency in the integration of TESOL and PDE standards.
- You will understand what impact of being a non-native English speaker has on the learning process and socialization in the classroom.
- An emphasis is placed on the teacher's respect and appreciation for culture and language.
- Goals will be achieved through class lecture, discussion, research, presentations, and practical application projects.
EDU 558: Approaches to Educating ELL’s