Cedar Crest Offers New Pan-European MFA in Creative Writing
Allentown, Pa. (Feb. 8, 2012)—Beginning this summer, Cedar Crest College will offer a new Pan-European Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, featuring a faculty of internationally recognized authors.
Unique to the MFA program is an approach that links the craft of writing to the creative energy of place, bringing students together with award-winning writers in such inspirational cities as Dublin, Ireland; Barcelona, Spain; and Vienna, Austria.
Students can earn their degree in just over two years by attending three, 15-day summer residencies—all in European cities—and working one-on-one with faculty members in distance-learning mentorships between residencies.
“The Pan-European Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing has just received final approval from the Pennsylvania Department of Education and we couldn’t be more excited,” said Kim Spiezio, Ph.D., dean of the School of Adult and Graduate Education (SAGE) at Cedar Crest. “This innovative graduate program is the only low-residency MFA program in the United States to be based exclusively in Europe, and it is ideal for those who would like to greatly improve their writing skills regardless of where they live.”
The program’s summertime-only residency requirement and European locations distinguish it from other MFA writing programs—but that’s only the beginning. Highlights of the Cedar Crest program include:
- Earn a degree in about two years
- Benefit from the flexibility of online mentorships in fall and spring semesters
- Be part of a “writer’s community” through residency experiences and monthly Skype sessions with instructors and classmates
- Choose from three genres—fiction, non-fiction or poetry—or pursue a dual-genre degree
- Enhance career opportunities in the fields of teaching, publishing, advertising, and more
For information on Cedar Crest College’s Pan-European MFA in Creative Writing, go to mfa.cedarcrest.edu or call 610-740-3770.