FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: David Jwanier, media relations associate, 610-740-3790
Three Days of Events Slated for Cedar Crest College President Carmen Twillie Ambar’s Inauguration
Allentown, PA (October 16, 2009)—Cedar Crest College is hosting a variety of activities from Wednesday, October 21, through Friday, October 23, to coincide with the inauguration of the school’s 13th president, Carmen Twillie Ambar. All events listed below are free and open to the public. These include:
Wednesday, October 21
• Alumnae and Friends Reception, 6:15 p.m., Samuels Theatre/Tompkins College Center. Members of the Cedar Crest College community and the public are invited to enjoy light fare and conversation as they usher in three days of inauguration-related activities.
• Faculty Roundtable Discussion: “Cedar Crest College—Then and Now,” 7 p.m., Samuels Theatre/Tompkins College Center. Current and former Cedar Crest faculty members will provide an interesting and informative look at how the College and higher education have changed over the years, as well as their future. Moderated by Saladin (Din) M. Ambar, Ph.D., visiting professor from Lehigh University and husband of Cedar Crest’s president, this event will feature emeriti faculty Marion Kayhart, Ph.D., Gerry Cozzolino, Ph.D. and Nellie Manges, former dean of students, along with current faculty Robert Wilson, Ph.D., Mae Ann Pasquale, Ph.D. and Maynard Cressman, MSW. The full discussion will be preceded by a brief tour through the history of the college by Barton C. Shaw, Ph.D., professor of history at Cedar Crest College.
Thursday, October 22
• Student Showcase: Arts and Humanities, 3 p.m., Samuels Theatre/Tompkins College Center. Students and faculty will perform and present works in theatre, music and dance, as well as the visual arts and literary arts.
• The 2009 William D. Reimert Lecture, featuring Christine Todd Whitman, former governor of New Jersey and the ninth administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (2001-2003), 7:15 p.m., Samuels Theatre/Tompkins College Center (overflow in Oberkotter Center). Whitman will explore “Women’s Leadership” in her talk. She will also participate in a question and answer session with the audience.
Friday, October 23
• Presidential Installation Ceremony, 1:30 p.m., Lees Hall. The community is invited for the official installation of Carmen Twillie Ambar as the 13th President of Cedar Crest College. After being administered the oath of office by Board of Trustees Chair Susan Hudgins, President Ambar—who recently began her second year at the helm of Cedar Crest—will deliver an inaugural address.
• Community Celebration, 3 p.m., Lees Hall. Inauguration ceremony attendees are invited to celebrate with President Ambar and congratulate her at a brief reception immediately following the ceremony.
To pre-register for these events (required) or for information go to www.cedarcrest.edu/register, or call 610-740-3791.