Student Government Association
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
–Johann Goethe (1749-1832) German Dramatist, Poet & Novelist
"The key to success is for you to make a habit throughout your life of doing the things you fear"
–Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) Dutch Painter, First Career: Art Salesman
"You're going to make mistakes in life. It's what you do after the mistakes that counts."
–Brandi Chastain (1968- ) American Soccer Player, Olympic Champion
"Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it."
-George "Papa Bear" Halas (1895-1983) American Football Pioneer, Coach, Owner & Player
"What we think, we become..."
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it."
–General H. Norman Schwarzkopf (1934-1991) U.S. Army Four-Star General
"Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience."
–Victoria Holt (1906-1993) Best-selling British Novelist
"A problem is a chance for you to do your best."
–Duke Ellington (1899-1974) American Composer and Musician
"If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
- Thomas Edison (1847-1931) Inventor, Salesman
"He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."
–Lao Tse, Philosopher, Founder of Taoism
The Student Government Association (SGA) of Cedar Crest College operates in accordance with the Cedar Crest College handbook and with any other statutes chartered by the college.
SGA shall serve as a liaison between the student body and the other constituencies of the college on all matters brought to the attention of SGA. It is the official voice through which students’ opinions and concerns are expressed by acting as the students’ representatives to the faculty, staff, administration and other college officials. Through open meetings, SGA ensures the sharing, discussion, and participation of the student body in the decision-making process and the steps needed to advance the Cedar Crest College community. Furthermore, SGA promotes student membership on various college committees and boards which directly affect the students’ education and experiences at Cedar Crest. SGA is dedicated to upholding the mission of the college, the Honor Code, and is committed to the ideals of integrity, dignity and respect.
Purpose of the Student Government Association
- To encourage active cooperation in the work of self-government
- To enact and reinforce policies as set forth by the Cedar Crest College Handbook
- To appropriate funds to clubs and/or organizations through the use of Finance Committee; chaired by Student Government Association Treasurer
- To be an outlet and liaison to the Professional Staff
- To represent the student body in a professional, responsible, dignified manner
- To provide a forum for the free exchange of ideas in matters of general concern to the College community
- To communicate such concerns as SGA deems desirable to the appropriate College community
- To supervise student elections for all campus positions as stated in the SGA Constitution under the direction of the Administrative Vice President
- To enforce the rules which it enacts and other College regulations which are explicitly within its jurisdiction
- To represent the student body to outside community
- To recommend changes to the Professional Staff and the Dean of Student Affairs office concerning the Campus and the Student Handbook
- To provide service to the community, host distinguished conferences and uphold traditions
- To resolve issues related to academics; tuition and fees; shared governance; dining services; transportation and parking; and other student matters associated within the surrounding community