Student Financial Services
Merit-Based Scholarships and Awards for Adult and Graduate Students
Financial awards and scholarships available to adult and graduate students
Students in the Cedar Crest College School of Adult and Graduate Education (SAGE) are eligible for a number of scholarships and awards. (Note: An adult student is a student who has been out of high school for more than four years.) Here, the current options for which SAGE students may apply.
Transfer Scholarship for Adult Students
Cedar Crest College recognizes the academic achievements of transfer students. Students who transfer from a regionally accredited college or university to Cedar Crest College may be eligible to receive a scholarship. Transfer students must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- Have completed a minimum of 24 transferable credits at the most recent college attended
- Have received a final GPA of 3.0 from the most recent college attended
- Have enrolled as a degree-seeking matriculating student at Cedar Crest College within 1 year of attending the institution where the qualifying GPA was obtained
Transfer Scholarships for Full-Time Students
The scholarship award will be equivalent to 25% of the tuition, not to exceed the amount of $2,000 per semester, and is renewable for two years. Cedar Crest College offers a full-time scholarship to students who meet the following criteria:
- Have enrolled for a minimum of 12 credits per semester at Cedar Crest College
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credits per academic year
- Have maintained an overall GPA of 3.0
Transfer Scholarships for Part-Time Students
The scholarship award will be 10% of the tuition. Cedar Crest College offers a part-time scholarship to students who meet the following criteria:
- Have enrolled for 6 to 11 credits per semester at Cedar Crest College
- Have completed a minimum of 12 credits per academic year
- Have maintained an overall GPA of 3.0
An unlimited number of scholarships are available. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree are not eligible.
Kappa Beta Delta Scholarships for Lehigh Carbon Community College Students at Cedar Crest College
The SAGE office at Cedar Crest College recognizes the academic achievements of Kappa Beta Delta members at Lehigh Carbon Community College (LCCC). Members who transfer from LCCC to Cedar Crest as adult students after they receive their A.A. or A.A.S. degree in Business or Accounting may be eligible to receive the award. Kappa Beta Delta members must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed an A.A. or A.A.S. degree in Business or Accounting at LCCC and obtained an overall GPA of 3.0
- Have enrolled as a degree-seeking matriculating adult student at Cedar Crest College within 1 year of completion of the A.A. or A.A.S. degree in business or accounting at LCCC
- Have completed a minimum of 6 credits per semester at Cedar Crest College and maintained an overall GPA of 3.0
The scholarship award will be 10% of the tuition. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree are not eligible.
Newcombe Scholarships for Adult Students
These scholarships are provided by the Newcombe Foundation and are specifically designed to assist the mature/second-career woman. Normally these scholarships are awarded as a part of the student’s financial aid package to complement other sources of assistance. To be eligible, students must:
- Apply for financial aid
- Be matriculated
- Have junior status (55 credits or more)
- Be at least 25 years of age
Life circumstances other than those normally reviewed in the financial aid process will be considered. Funds are limited. The Newcombe Foundation website is at www.newcombefoundation.org.
The Adult Student Prize for Honor
The Adult Student Prize for Honor is awarded to the SAGE student who can best express what the Honor Philosophy at Cedar Crest College means to them. The Honor and Judicial Board, which is a student board, sponsors this annual prize in an effort to promote the Honor Code at Cedar Crest College as a living code. The Honor Philosophy governs all aspects of students’ social academic behavior.
The Adult Student Prize for Honor consists of a cash award which is applied toward the purchase of textbooks in the College Bookstore. The prize will be awarded at the beginning of the fall semester, and the winning student shall be recognized during Convocation in August.
The prize is offered to adult students prior to their first semester at Cedar Crest in the hope of creating an opportunity for meaningful reflection on the values of the College. Individuals who accept the honor of membership in our community of scholars pledge to accept responsibility for their actions and the effect their actions may have on other members of the College community.
AAUW for Adult Students
The Allentown and Bethlehem branches of the Allentown Association of University Women provide scholarships for women whose education has been interrupted at the bachelor’s level.
Awards range in size from $500 per year. For more information, inquire at the Student Financial Services office. Application for these local scholarships must be made before March 1.
EWI for Adult Students
The Lehigh Valley Chapter of Executive Women International (EWI) offers Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) Scholarships which benefit non-traditional students. Selection criteria includes, but is not limited to: financial need; socially/physically/economically challenged adults; responsible for small children.
Application for these scholarships must be made before April 15th. Application forms may be downloaded at www.ewiconnect.com.