Blaney Hall's Beginning Marked 100 Years Ago
First year students Ellen Hill and Kyra Atkins stand in front of the Blaney Hall cornerstone; first placed on November 25, 1913. While the new administrative building wouldn't hold its first class of students until 1915, it marked the beginning of the building that one hundred years later is one of the College's most recognizable buildings.
Many might not know that preserved inside the cornerstone is a copper box containing numerous items from the College's history. Within this cornerstone is the 1913 edition of the College catalogue, copies of church papers, local papers and the Allentown College for Women Folio. There is also a list of names of faculty and trustees, a letter of congratulations from Dr. J. S. Stahr (a former Trustee member), autographs from the faculty and senior class, a program of "A Single Man," the latest Alumnae play, and a copy of the services of dedication and cornerstone laying. Last, the copper box also contains business cards of architects, contractors, and Cedar Crest's President and Dean..