What Matters Does the Office Handle?
The Ombuds Office helps the staff and faculty of the College solve problems that range from overcoming simple, practical difficulties to handling sensitive, complex issues. The following are a few of the topics you can discuss with the Ombuds:
- Interpersonal difficulties
- Harassment or discrimination
- Untangling a complicated situation
- Violations of policy
- Workplace disputes
- Ethical dilemmas
- Cultural misunderstandings
- Conflicts of interest
- Appropriate ways to frame and discuss issues
- Incivility or rudeness
- Health and safety concerns
- Unprofessional conduct
- Ways to make or seek an apology
- Academic freedom issues
- Authorship disagreements
- Threats or retaliation
Ombuds offices deal with an enormous variety of issues, so if your issue does not fit into the examples listed above, don’t let that stop you from coming to the office.
Because the Ombuds Office is independent and confidential, please understand that discussing your issues is off the record and does not put the College on formal notice of your concerns.